Marta Zaccaria

welcome to my reflective portfolio

Presenting lab techniques

At the start of Year 2 I was looking forward to studying Techniques in Molecular Medicine (MEDC0011). I was expecting to develop some basic lab skills and gain relevant knowledge to further comprehend the “methods section” when reading research articles.

Actually, although we were not able to access the labs due to COVID-19 restrictions, I feel this module has given me important insights in the practical aspects which need to be considered when designing an experiment and interpreting results. I have realised that understanding the principles of lab techniques is key to be able to appreciate research publications on the whole and give a critical analysis.

The task of the assessment was to create a poster which compared two techniques routinely used to study disease mechanisms. We were asked to work in pairs and describe the advantages and disadvantages of the chosen techniques, whilst putting them in context of a human disease.

Working with my friend Alice was great: I had the chance to improve on my teamwork and communication skills, as well as become more proficient in the use of online platforms (given the circumstances we met via MS Teams).

We picked melanoma from the list of diseases we were provided. In fact, both of us had taken the Cancer Biology and Therapeutics optional module and were keen on learning more about cancer research. We then decided to compare western blotting and mass spectrometry. We searched for their applications in melanoma research, and identified and evaluated their benefits and drawbacks. Therefore, this assessment was another opportunity for me to engage with the scientific literature and develop critical thinking.

As for every poster, one of the challenges we faced was conveying the information in a clear, immediate way: we tried to make the most of diagrams, tables, and bullet points, to avoid chunks of text. I have surely built on the poster design and presentation skills acquired in Year 1.

While my ability to communicate scientific findings has grown, unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to develop some practical lab skills. Hence, my aim is to gain experience in a summer internship: I’m eager to apply what I have learnt on research techniques in the lab setting.

Below is the poster Alice and I created on western blotting and mass spectrometry in the context of melanoma research.

Year 2

Marta Zaccaria • 24th January 2021

Previous Post

Next Post