The Mayor of London’s Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm has prompted much discussion amongst proponents and critics alike.

In this article, I have listed some links to online articles outlining recent events relevant to the Commission. I have also included statues of diverse figures around London that you may like to walk to. I hope that these resources provide plenty of inspiration for your proposal!

‘Sculptures honouring Windrush generation to be unveiled in London in 2021’, The Guardian

Statue of Millicent Fawcett, Westminster, London

Statue of Mary Seacole, Lambeth, London

‘Mary Wollstonecraft statue: ‘Mother of feminism’ sculpture provokes backlash’, BBC News

‘Labour councils launch slavery statue review as another is removed’, The Guardian

Statue of ‘Bronze Woman’, Stockwell Terrace, London

Statue of Noor Inayat Khan, Gordon Square, Bloomsbury, London

Statue of Nelson Mandela, Parliament Square, London

‘British protestors topple Edward Colston statue’, Washington Post

Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Parliament Square, Westminster

Hackney:

Review, Rename, Reclaim, Hackney Council

‘‘Historic moment’ as name of slave trader John Cass removed from Hackney park’, Hackney Citizen

Rhodes Must Fall, Oxford

‘UK should ‘retain and explain’ controversial statues, says minister’, BBC News

There’s a huge wealth of resources to help you to form your own proposal to increase diversity in the public realm. I hope you have the chance to explore some of these, and indeed research the sites that interest you to a greater depth.