Marta Zaccaria

welcome to my reflective portfolio

Research internship at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

It’s truly challenging to capture in a few words what a learning experience this summer has been: I participated in the Undergraduate Research Program (URP) organised by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), a top-notch biomedical research institution located in Long Island, New York (USA). Dr Tobias Janowitz gave me the opportunity to work on my own research project whilst benefitting of the expert supervision of Miriam Ferrer Gonzalez (PhD student).

The Janowitz Host-response laboratory studies the cancer-host interplay, in particular in the context of cachexia, identifying both host- and tumour-intrinsic factors which drive disease progression. Cachexia is a systemic wasting syndrome commonly affecting late-stage cancer patients, negatively impacting their response and tolerance to cancer therapy, and currently lacking treatment options. My project contributed to understanding ketogenic diet-induced changes in the stress response to cancer cachexia; in particular, I used in vitro human models to investigate the interaction between secondary products of metabolism and the endocrine response in the context of this end-stage wasting syndrome.

Gaining clarity in my personal career and research interests

This internship has allowed me to further develop both technical skills – mainly in cell culture and ELISA – and non-technical skills – including reading, writing, and presenting research work. While it is difficult to make a significant scientific contribution in just nine weeks, I’m grateful for experiencing within this short timeframe the ups and downs which are integral to the research process; indeed, these have made me reconsider whether I wish to continue along the academic career path. Despite all the troubleshooting behind each experiment, I must conclude that I appreciate the novelty which comes with all results, as well as the process of understanding their significance and of truthfully sharing them with the scientific community.

Of course, a key driver in this exciting yet tedious work is personal interest in the topic researched. This summer, more than in all other previous experiences, I felt this was true for me. I enjoyed discussing about the host response to cancer with Dr Janowitz and other lab members, during lab meetings or over meals. For my future research projects, I wish to continue taking into consideration the whole organism – particularly its metabolism and its immune system – when addressing a disease, be it cancer, an autoimmune condition or else.

Some key ingredients for an unforgettable summer

Outside the lab, I was impressed by the open and immersive environment at CSHL, which facilitates communication and exchange among brilliant minds with diverse backgrounds. I had the additional chance to approach excellent scientists during the lecture series integrated within the URP calendar.

CSHL benefits of an idyllic campus surrounded by nature (and featuring a beach on the harbour, too!). Extra-curricular activities like volleyball, ultimate frisbee and sailing, were the best way to finish a spent at the lab bench, and to make lifelong friendships. Sharing this experience with other 17 brilliant undergraduate students – living with them on campus, visiting together New York City on the weekends, and having plenty of fun as a group –  has made my summer at CSHL unforgettable.

URP student cohort 2022

Having lived and studied in Italy and the UK, this internship has also opened the way for further experiences across the globe, as I was exposed to graduate school and future research opportunities at CSHL and in the US in general.

Altogether, it was an incredible privilege for me to take part in such a rich and stimulating undergraduate program set in CSHL’s unique campus. Working with Dr Tobias Janowitz has shed clarity on my personal research interests and is bound to influence my upcoming career choices.

CSHL

Marta Zaccaria • 16th August 2022

Previous Post

Next Post